Instructions:

Create a new post for your portfolio paragraph.

Monday, November 3, 2014

Yeezus Jesus Shylock Gets Mad at Christians

TJ Ram
Portfolio B
English II
10/25/14


Shakespeare uses persuasion and metaphorical language during Shylock’s angry speech to convey Shylock’s deep frustration with the racism and prejudice against Jewish people. Shakespeare begins with Shylock exclaiming, “He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated my enemies. And what’s his reason? I am a Jew. (3.1.51-55)” Shakespeare implements these powerful analogies to help the reader relate to Shylock’s frustrations. He has lent a large sum of money to Antonio, a man who has insulted him and caused him an inordinate amount of grief just because of his religion. Shakespeare then writes, “Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? (3.1.55-60)”After providing a background as to why Shylock is enraged, Shakespeare dazzles the reader with a set of brilliant analogies. He compares common human physical and emotional characteristics that both Christians as Jews share. His argument is that all humans are same on basic level so any discrimination is immoral and unfair. To conclude Shylock’s speech, Shakespeare states, “If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be byChristian example? Why, revenge. (3.1.64-67)Shakespeare’s ending argument is explained best by the Bible quote, “an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.” If one man wrongs another man, justice should be done to avenge that wrongdoing. Shylock has endured a lifelong of suffering under Christian oppression, so he too will have his vengeance.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Shylocks speech shows his frustration and that his beginning part of the speech causes the audience to sympathize with him. Later on in the speech, Shylock says "The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction" (3.1.67-69), thus showing how Shylock has dropped to the Christian's level, saying that being revengeful and merciless is a Christina quality and Shylock will give back what he has received.

    ReplyDelete